Chicken stir fry 5 spice and ginger
A lean & lite dinner idea that doesn't skimp on flavour! Very quick and simple to cook, serve on a bed of steamed rice or noodles.
- 500g chicken pieces
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon Chinese 5 Spice
- oil spray
- 4 cups finely sliced green vegetables eg celery, broccoli, beans, asparagus, snow peas
- 1 bunch Asian greens – gai larn, choy sum or bok choy, sliced
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon salt reduced soy sauce
- rice or noodles to serve and spring onions to garnish
- Place the chicken, red onion, ginger, garlic and Chinese 5 Spice into a bowl. Toss to coat. If time allows, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Spray a non-stick wok or frying pan lightly with oil spray. Heat over medium high heat then stir-fry half of the chicken for 2 to 3 minutes or until it is golden brown. Transfer chicken to a plate. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Add the green vegetables to the pan and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the chicken back to the pan with the Asian Greens, oyster sauce and soy sauce. Stir-fry for a further minute until the chicken has heated through and the greens have just begun to wilt.
- Serve with rice or noodles.
- Stir fry some raw prawn meat and add back with the chicken for an opulent twist
- Spring onions or Chinese chives add another layer of piquant flavour
Wine Suggestion: Gewurztraminer