Chicken yakitori with garlic and ginger
Bring some Japanese flair to your next get-together with these chicken yakitori. Bursting with classic Asian flavours, they’re sure to wow your crowd.
View the method
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1kg boneless chicken thighs, cut into
- 2cm pieces
- 6 spring onions, trimmed, cut into
- 2cm lengths
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, to serve
- Hot chilli sauce, to serve
Back to ingredients
- Place the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, caster sugar, garlic and ginger in a small saucepan and mix well to combine. Bring to a simmer over medium heat then cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes, or until the sauce thickens slightly. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Thread the chicken pieces and spring onions alternately onto soaked bamboo skewers. Brush with some of the sauce.
- Heat a chargrill pan or barbecue to medium and lightly brush with the vegetable oil. Cook the skewers for 8-10 minutes or until cooked through, turning once and basting with the remaining sauce while cooking. The chicken should be dark golden and caramelised and cooked through.