- 300g (1½ cups) basmati rice*
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, grated or 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ celery* thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, cut into ½ cm chunks
- 400g skinless chicken breast, cut into 3cm chunks
- 400ml can light coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ broccoli*, florets and stalk chopped
- 300g (2 cups) frozen peas*
Salt and pepper, to taste.
* These ingredients are shared with other recipes from the weekly meal planner.
- Cook rice according to packet instructions.
- Heat oil in a pot or deep skillet on the stove over medium high heat. Add onions and sauté until softened. Add garlic and spices, stir fry until fragrant.
- Stir through celery and carrots and cook until slightly softened.
- Add chicken, coconut milk, salt and pepper, fill coconut milk can with 1 cup water, swirl around to get any remaining coconut milk and add to the pot, add remaining ½ cup water. Stir and cover with a lid. Bring to a simmer while stirring occasionally.
- Simmer for around 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked, stir in broccoli and peas, and bring to a simmer again.
- Test taste adding more spices or pepper as desired and serve the curry with rice.
- Some broccoli stalks can have a woody outer layer, peel off this tough outer layer as you prepare the broccoli.
- Use reduced salt chicken stock in place of the water, salt, and pepper
- The chicken can be replaced with red meat, firm fish fillets, tofu, tempeh, prawns, pulses, or plant-based protein alternatives. Adjust cooking times accordingly.
- Boost the fibre in the dish by using brown rice. Use 1-2 tablespoons of a curry paste instead of the spices.
- Use regular coconut milk if you prefer.
- Eat for lunch the next day or freeze curry and rice separately in portions. Heat thoroughly before eating.