Fried chicken burger
Want to learn how to make your favourite takeaway burger from home? These fried chicken burgers are insanely delicious with a tangy gherkin mayonnaise and crisp lettuce; the ultimate dinner for fried chicken lovers!
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4-6 large boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- Rice bran or vegetable oil, for frying
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1tsp mustard
- 4 pickle slices, finely chopped
- 4 buns of your choice, toasted
- 4 slices cheddar
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- ½ small red onion, finely sliced
Tip: If you can’t find buttermilk, make your own by stirring 1Tbsp white vinegar into 1 cup of milk and leave to sit for 5 minutes before using.
- In a suitably sized bowl, combine the buttermilk, chicken thighs, salt and pepper. Cover and place in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, garlic powder, paprika, oregano and a generous amount of salt and pepper. Fill a large pot ? full with oil, and place over a medium high heat until the oil reaches 170 degrees celsius*
- One at a time, take one chicken thigh from the buttermilk and drop into the flour mix. Shake the bowl to coat the chicken in the seasoned flour, then carefully drop into the oil. Fry 1-2 pieces at a time for 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown and cooked through. Place onto a cooling rack set over a baking tray, and repeat until all chicken thighs are cooked; keep warm in a preheated oven if needed.
- To make the sauce, stir together the mayonnaise, mustard and chopped pickles.
- To assemble to burgers, spread half of the sauce over the bun bases. Place the fried chicken on top, then lay down the sliced cheese. Finish with shredded lettuce, sliced red onion, the remaining sauce and burger bun top. Serve immediately.