- 2 whole Rangitikei free range chickens, size 12
- 4 lemons
- 100g ginger root, peeled
- 60ml extra virgin olive oil
- ½ bottle of Selaks Reserve Hawke’s Bay Chardonnay
- Pinch of salt
- Pepper to season
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Olive Bread Sauce:
- 150g butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup milk powder
- 2 cups Simon Gault Home Cuisine chicken stock
- 100g sourdough bread, crust removed and cut into cubes
- 100g pitted olives, finely sliced
- Preheat the oven 180°C. Slice 2 lemons in to thin rings and lay on roasting tray for the chickens to cook on.
- Cut the chickens in half by cutting down both sides of the backbone with a large knife, remove the backbone and discard. Remove wing tips. Place the half chickens in a bowl. Grate the ginger, lemon zest and juice of two lemons, olive oil and Selaks Reserve Hawke’s Bay Chardonnay in to the bowl of chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Ensure the chicken halves are covered in the mixture.
- Transfer the chicken halves to the roasting tray, skin side up and lay them on top of the sliced lemon rings. Drizzle any remaining liquid in the chicken bowl over the chicken. Place in the oven for 45 minutes or until an internal temperature of 62°C.
- While the chickens are cooking, on a separate tray toast the pine nuts in the oven until golden then set aside, be careful as they burn quickly.
- Once the chicken is cooked remove from the oven and allow to rest for 20 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and cut each half in two. Pour the remaining cooking juices in the roasting dish in to a sauce jug.
Olive bread sauce
- Melt the butter in a saucepan with the garlic and cook over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes being careful not to brown the butter.
- Add the milk powder and cook for 2 minutes with the garlic while stirring continuously with a wooden spoon. Add the Simon Gault Home Cuisine chicken stock, sourdough bread cubes and then bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a blender and process until smooth. Return to a clean saucepan, add sliced olives and fold through. Cover and set aside until ready to reheat for serving.
While the chicken is resting, reheat the bread sauce adding the sliced olives at the last minute. Divide the sauce between 4 plates and top with 2 pieces of chicken.
Garnish with a sprinkling of flat leaf parsley, toasted pine nuts and a few sliced lemons from the roasting tray.
Invite family and friends over and share a glass of Selaks Reserve Chardonnay or Pinot Noir.