Herby chicken tray bake
Great for nights when you want the oven to take care of most of the cooking, and you can easily switch up the herbs with your favourite ones or other seasoning and spice mixes to make this recipe your very own.
This recipe is part of a weekly meal planner for 5 family recipes for under $100.
- 3 tablespoons oil or butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 4 cubes chicken stock*
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- 1-1.5kg chicken thighs or drumsticks (or 2 thighs/drumsticks per person)
- 600g potatoes, washed and cut into about 2cm wide chunks
- 2 large carrots*, cut into 1cm slices
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper, to taste
- Heat oil or butter in a medium sized saucepan or pot on the stove over medium heat, add flour and cook for about a minute until it forms a paste.
- Carefully add in milk while mixing using a whisk, turn the heat to high and continue stirring until it thickens. Add chicken stock cubes and nutmeg if using, test taste adding salt and pepper as needed. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 180C bake or 160C fan bake.
- Prepare a large baking tray or two medium baking dishes. Place chicken, potatoes, and carrots in the tray or dish. Drizzle with oil, sprinkle herbs, salt, and pepper and mix to coat.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until the chicken and vegetables are cooked.
Portion chicken and vegetables onto plates and serve with the white sauce. Use remaining sauce in the filo chicken pie, if following the meal plan recipes.
Tips: Halve the white sauce quantity in this recipe if you are only making this dish. You can change up the vegetables, use what you have already at home or if you want something different cauliflower and beetroot are great roasted.
Leftovers: Can be added into the filo chicken pie filling or can be frozen.