Indonesian style chicken drumsticks with roast peanut and cucumber salad
Budget-friendly and versatile, chicken drumsticks are always a great dinner option. Coated in an Indonesian-inspired marinade then baked in the oven, they’re golden, sticky and incredibly moreish.
View the method
- ¼ cup kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce – alternatively use regular soy sauce with a pinch of Pams Sugar)
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 12 chicken drumsticks
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- Steamed rice, to serve
Roast peanut & cucumber salad:
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Pams Sugar
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 1 large red chilli, sliced
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, peeled into ribbons
- ½ cup roasted unsalted peanuts, roughly chopped
Back to ingredients
- Place the kecap manis, curry paste, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic and turmeric in a small bowl and mix well to combine.
- Cut 2-3 slashes into the top of each drumstick. Place the drumsticks into a large zip-lock bag and add the marinade. Seal the bag and toss to coat the drumsticks in the marinade. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced). Remove the drumsticks from the zip-lock bag and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake for 35-40 minutes, turning occasionally, or until the chicken is golden and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, prepare the salad. Place the rice wine vinegar and sugar in a small bowl and stir until the sugar dissolves. Stir in the garlic and red chilli. Place the cucumber and peanuts in a salad bowl and drizzle with dressing.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the sesame seeds then serve with the salad and steamed rice.