- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into strips
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ¼ red onion, finely sliced
- 3 Tbsp sweet rice wine vinegar
- Rice bran or vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 cups cornflour
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- ¼ cup sesame dressing
- 12 small tortillas, toasted
- Coriander and Japanese mayo, to serve
- In a bowl, combine the chicken thigh pieces, soy, ginger and sesame oil. Stir well, and leave to marinate for 30 minutes minimum, or overnight.
- Pickle the red onion by mixing together the vinegar, ½ cup water and the onion. Set aside until required.
- Bring a medium sized pot, filled halfway with oil, to a suitable frying heat. Remove pieces of chicken from the marinade, and toss in cornflour before placing carefully into the heated oil. Fry for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through, then set aside on a paper towel to drain.
- In a small bowl, toss together the cabbage and sesame dressing.
- Assemble the tacos by placing some of the dressed cabbage, fried chicken and pickled onion on a tortilla. Drizzle with Japanese mayo, then garnish with coriander and serve immediately.