Lemon and Thyme Chicken
"A combination of simple everyday ingredients that give a sublime result. The taste and smell is Greece on a plate. One taste and I am back in a sunny village taverna. Everyone I serve it to loves it."
- 2kg chicken pieces -thighs and drums are best
- 50ml olive oil
- 30gm butter melted
- 150ml dry white wine
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 lemon
- 6-8 sprigs of fresh thyme or 2 tsp dried
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 160-180 C. Take a large shallow ovenproof dish and put in olive oil and melted butter. Mix.
- Now add chicken pieces and stir to coat with oil mix.
- Add wine and crushed garlic and stir again.
- Cut lemon into quarters and squeeze juice over chicken and add the lemon pieces to the dish for extra flavouring during cooking.
- Lastly sprinkle over chopped thyme, along with a few whole sprigs and a grind of pepper and sprinkle of salt.
- Place in oven and bake for approximately 50-60 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked through and nicely browned on top.
- When cooked transfer to serving dish and pour juices from pan into jug.
Serve with boiled potatoes, pasta or rice and a salad. My favourite is potatoes with the juices drizzled over them.