- Rice bran oil
- 2 large skinless chicken breasts, halved horizontally
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1tsp dried mixed herbs
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 500g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 120g baby spinach
- 200g grated or sliced mozzarella
- Fresh basil leaves, to garnish
- In a large heavy-based pan, bring a drizzle of oil to a high heat. Season the chicken breast pieces with salt and pepper on both sides, then place into the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown in colour. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Lower the heat to a low/medium heat, then add the red onion and mixed herbs to the pan. Saute for 2-3 minutes to allow the onion to soften, then add the balsamic vinegar to deglaze the pan.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and spinach to the pan, and cook while stirring for 4-5 minutes or until the tomatoes begin to soften and break down.
- Nestle the chicken pieces into the tomato mixture, then top with mozzarella. Cover with a lid, and leave on until the cheese has melted.
- Once the cheese has melted, spoon some of the tomato mixture over the chicken, then garnish with fresh basil and serve.
TOP TIP: For a more filling meal, fold cooked pasta through the tomato mixture, along with ½ cup of cooking liquid from the pasta. Nestle the chicken into the pasta and complete the recipe from step four.