An easy family-style casserole that uses the common pantry item; a can of condensed tomato soup. Recipe from Allyson Gofton’s cookbook Slow.
- 12 Chicken drumsticks
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 1 tbsp Onion salt
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 Bacon streaks, thinly sliced, optional
- 250 g Button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 420 g can condensed tomato soup
- 2 Onions, peeled and sliced
- Turn the slow cooker on to low to pre-warm while gathering and preparing ingredients
- In a plastic bag or large lidded container, put the chicken drumsticks with the paprika, onion salt, and garlic powder and shake to mix evenly. At this stage, the chicken can be refrigerated overnight if wished.
- If wishing to brown the ingredients: Heat a dash of oil in a heavy-based frying pan and, when very hot, brown the chicken drumsticks evenly. Do not overcrowd the pan as the chicken will stew and not brown. Brown the bacon and onions if wished.
- Into the pre-warmed slow cooker put the chicken, bacon, onions and mushrooms. In a jug, mix together the condensed tomato soup and water and pour over the chicken pieces. Turn the pieces to coat as well as possible and cover with the lid.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3-5 hours, or until the chicken drumsticks are well cooked. Gently mix the sour cream if using and season with pepper.
- Serve with your favourite seasonal vegetables or a baked potato and crisp salad. Variations: - In place of bacon streaks, use 3-4 bacon rashers or 1 ham steak - Use 1x400g can diced tomatoes and ½ cup tomato paste in place of condensed soup. Try a flavoured variant like tomatoes with garlic.
- Add ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley or chives before serving.