Roast chicken with bulgar wheat stuffing
Roast chicken and a zesty stuffing make a delicious winter meal.
- 1 Tegel Chicken Size 18
- 2 Onions
- 1/2 cup bulgar wheat or brown rice, boiled in 1 cup water for 10 minutes or soaked for one hour, drained
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 50 g butter, cubed
- 1/2 tsp each, salt and pepper
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- extra peppercorns, optional
- Preheat oven to 220 C (430 F).
- Peel and grate one onion into a bowl. Add the drained bulgar wheat, cinnamon, half the butter, salt and pepper. This stuffing is generous with pepper.
- Stuff the main cavity of the chicken with the stuffing. Lastly, add the lemon and then tie legs together to keep stuffing intact.
- Oil a baking dish and place the chicken in it. Add the bay leaf, the remaining onion (roughly cut) and butter, additional peppercorns and ½ cup of water
- Cover and cook for 45 minutes then uncover and cook until the chicken is cooked, the juices run clear and the stuffing is tender (approx. another 15 - 20 minutes)
Serve up with roast pumpkin and cauliflower and some steamed greens like broccoli and peas.