- 300g (1½ cups) brown rice*
- 1 can light coconut milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter or tahini, ideally no added salt
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or soy sauce alternative
- 1 teaspoon sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 500g skinless chicken breast*, sliced
- Pepper, to taste
- Metal or bamboo skewers (optional)
- 2 large carrots*, grated
- ½ large cucumber*, sliced
- 1/8 cabbage*, thinly sliced
- ¾ lettuce*, shredded
- ½ red onion*, finely sliced or diced
* These ingredients are shared with other recipes from the weekly meal planner.
- Cook rice according to packet instructions but replace ½ cup water with ½ can coconut milk.
- Combine salad ingredients together in a bowl, set aside.
- Pour in remaining coconut milk in a small saucepan, with peanut butter, soy sauce, and sweet chilli sauce. Place on the stove over medium heat, bring to a gentle boil then reduce the heat and let it simmer for around 5 minutes or until thickened, while stirring occasionally. Set aside once ready.
- Season chicken with pepper and put through skewers if desired.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan on the stove over medium high heat. Cook chicken in batches until golden brown on the outside and cooked through.
- Coat the chicken in the satay sauce or drizzle over top once on the plate.
- Serve on a plate with coconut rice, salad, and chicken. Use any remaining sauce over the salad.
Skill level: Easy as
- The satay sauce can be cooked at the same time as the chicken to save time.
- Swap the chicken for tofu, beef, tempeh, prawns, or firm fish fillets. Skinless chicken thighs can be used instead if preferred.
- Use gluten free soy sauce if required.
- Use white rice if you prefer or already have that in your pantry.
- Use regular coconut milk if you like.
Kid friendly alternatives
- Use reduced salt soy sauce
Can be eaten for lunch the next day.