Spicy apricot glazed BBQ chicken
Soon to be your new barbecue favourite, this spicy apricot glazed chicken is finger-licking good! Juicy chicken thighs dressed in a sticky and slightly spicy apricot jam glaze makes for the perfect centrepiece. Serve alongside your favourite salad for a meal that the whole whānau will love!
- Extra virgin olive oil
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- ½ cup apricot jam
- 2 Tbsp honey
- Juice of 1 lime or lemon
- 1.2kg - 2kg bone-in chicken thighs or cutlets
- Fresh coriander, lime and chilli, to garnish
- Place a saucepan over a medium heat with a drizzle of oil, then sauté the onion (reserving 1 Tbsp for garnish) for 4-5 minutes or until the onion begins to soften. Add the garlic and chilli and cook while stirring for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Once the onion and chilli mixture has softened, lower the heat, then add the apricot jam, honey and lime juice. Stir well to combine, then season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, then remove from the heat. Set aside.
- Preheat your BBQ hot plate or stove top grill pan to a medium to high heat. Score the chicken cutlets lightly, then drizzle with olive oil and season.
- Place the chicken thighs on the BBQ and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until they reach a deep, golden colour and are cooked through. During the cooking time, use a brush to glaze the chicken thighs liberally with the apricot glaze.
- Once cooked, place the glazed thighs onto a serving platter and garnish with the reserved red onion, coriander, lime wedges and chilli. Serve and enjoy.
TOP TIP: For a finger-food friendly version, use chicken wings or drumsticks for a delicious handheld twist! If doing so, adjust the cooking time accordingly.