Vietnamese inspired lemongrass chicken
If you’ve never cooked with lemongrass before, this recipe is the perfect time to try it! This quick and affordable vietnamese inspired recipe is packed with fresh vegetables, succulent chicken and a punchy nuoc cham inspired dressing; every bite is filled with flavour.
- Dairy free
- 1 Tbsp lemongrass paste or chopped lemongrass
- Juice of 2 limes or lemons
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp + ¼ cup fish sauce
- Olive oil
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ¼ cup rice wine or white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ red chilli, finely diced (optional)
- 200g vermicelli noodles
- ¼ iceberg lettuce, shredded
- ½ carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- ¼ telegraph cucumber, diced
- 2 Tbsp chopped toasted peanuts
- Fresh coriander, mint and lime wedges, to garnish
- In a bowl, stir together the lemongrass, juice of 1 lime, soy sauce, brown sugar, 1 Tbsp fish sauce and a drizzle of olive oil. Once combined, add the chicken thighs and toss to coat. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinating, make the nuoc cham dressing by stirring together the remaining lime juice, fish sauce, rice wine vinegar, caster sugar, garlic and chilli with ½ cup of water. Stir well to combine then set aside.
- Soak the vermicelli noodles as per pack instruction, then set aside.
- Bring a nonstick frying pan to a medium high heat. Pan fry the chicken thighs for 3-4 minutes each side, or until caramelised and completely cooked through. Once cooked, leave to rest for 5 minutes then slice.
- Divide the vermicelli amongst 4 bowls, then arrange the lettuce, carrot, bean sprouts and cucumber alongside. Top with cooked chicken, then dress generously with the nuoc cham inspired dressing.
- Garnish the noodles with chopped peanuts, fresh coriander, mint and lime wedges. Serve immediately and enjoy.