Mexican Chocolate Torte with Kahlua Jelly
"It's chocolate: we want it, we crave it! This torte is quick, inexpensive & easy to make. It is crusty on the outer with a smooth centre & lightly spiced with exotic cinnamon, chili & cayenne. The cooking aromas are divine. Just one mouthful & pretty soon everyone's wanting one more slither..."
- 150g quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 170g butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8th tsp each of salt, cayenne and chilli
- 2 1/2 tsp gelatin powder
- 375ml cold water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1 cup kahlua
To make Torte:
- Oven 180 celsius. Grease a medium torte pan with removable base. Use baking paper.
- Melt chocolate & butter slowly in microwave or double boiler. Remove from heat. Add sugar. Cool a bit, whisk in the eggs slowly & seive in rest of ingredients.
- Pour into pan & bake 45min.
- Serve with cream or ice cream & Kahlua jelly.
To make Jelly:
- Sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup of the water. Leave 5min.
- Place rest of water, sugar & coffee in pot & stir on medium heat till sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat after it boils. Add gelatin and stir till dissolved. Add kahlua.
- Pour into lightly greased moulds and chill for 3 hours. Dip mould bases in warm water to unmould if necessary. Serve on plate with torte & cream.