Rich chocolate log
A popular cake at Christmas time and a tasty alternative to rich fruit cake.
- 1/2 tin Highlander caramel
- 225g cooking chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon rum essence (or more vanilla)
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds
- 1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup red and/or green cherries
- 1/2 cup dried fruit, chopped if large eg: finely chopped dried apricots, figs and dates.
- Toast all the nuts until straw coloured.
- Break the cooking chocolate into cubes and melt over a pot of boiling water taking care not to let any water get into the bowl.
- Pour the caramel into a bowl, add the essences and stir to mix.
- Have the toasted nuts and chopped fruit ready.
- Remove the chocolate from the heat as soon as it is melted and smooth.
- Tip it into the caramel and mix until combined.
- Work quite quickly because the condensed milk causes the chocolate to stiffen.
- Stir in the nuts and fruit.
- Tip the mixture out in a strip along the centre of a piece of plastic wrap about 30 inches long.
- Cover it in the plastic wrap and make a roll out of it.
- Cut it in half so you now have 2 logs and wrap. Refrigerate until firm.
- If you like, once firm, roll the logs in any sort of chopped toasted nuts you like. Rewrap and refrigerate.
- Cut the log into thin slices to serve.