- 400g packet frozen sweet shortcrust pastry, defrosted
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp nutmeg or ground cinnamon
- 1 cup cream
- 2-3 large apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan forced or 200°C conventional.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface and use it to line the base and sides of a 23cm loose-bottomed tart dish or flan tin. Trim off any excess.
- Bake blind for 10 minutes. Remove baking blind material and brush the pastry with egg white. Return to the oven for a couple of minutes until the egg white has cooked. This helps seal the pastry so the custard doesn’t make your pastry go soggy. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, vanilla and nutmeg or cinnamon. Stir in the cream.
- Arrange the apples into the dish in a circular pattern. Pour over egg custard to submerge the apples, taking care not to disturb the pattern.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until custard is set. Check the tart halfway through cooking and ensure the apples are still submerged. Set aside to cool.
- Remove from the tart dish when it has cooled.
Serve warm or cold with a dollop of Greek yoghurt or cream.