Mini swiss caramel and walnut tarts
"The ingredients for this Swiss gateau, which is usually served for afternoon tea or dessert, are fresh, tasty and simple; Walnuts, creamy homemade caramel and a delicious cinnamon short pastry. This delicious combination makes for a very satisfying experience for the taste buds!"
- Cinnamon Short Pastry:
- 120 gm cubed butter
- 50 gm butter
- 1 Tbsp golden syrup
- 1-2 Tbsp milk
- 1 egg
- 250 gm flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 90 gm sugar
- 60 gm honey
- 1-2 Tbsp water
- 100 ml cream
- 60 gm chopped walnuts
- 50 gm sunflower seeds
- 40 gm sesame seeds
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add golden syrup and egg.
- Add flour and cinnamon.
- Add milk until a smooth pastry forms.
- Roll out pastry to 3mm and line four 12cm tart tins, saving rest of pastry for lids.
- CARAMEL FILLING: Combine sugar, honey, water and cream in a saucepan and melt over low heat, stirring gently to avoid sugar crystals on sides of saucepan.
- Once sugar has dissolved completely, increase heat and bring to the boil while still stirring.
- Reduce heat and boil gently for 2 minutes without stirring until mix becomes a golden caramel colour.
- Remove from heat and stir in cream.
- Bring to the boil once more.
- Remove from heat, add nuts and seeds and allow to cool completely.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°.
- Divide filling between the four tarts.
- Roll out the rest of the dough and cut 4 tops.
- Place one on each of the tarts and press down the edges firmly.
- Prick the top and bake in pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.