- 120 g butter
- 120 g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 4 eggs
- 70 g ground almonds
- 100 g finely grated dark chocolate
- 60 g flour
- 60 g cornflour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 6 Tbsp. kirsch
- 600 ml cream
- 750 g preserved morello cherries
- 1 Tbsp. cornflour
- Shaved dark chocolate
- 16 glacé cherries
- Cream butter, sugar and vanilla essence, add eggs one by one, then almonds and chocolate.
- Mix and sieve flour, cornflour and baking powder and fold into the mixture.
- Bake mixture in a 26 cm springform tin at 180ºC, about 30-40 minutes.
- Drain cherries, reserving liquid.
- Thicken liquid with 1 Tbsp. cornflour, remove from heat and add cherries.
- Leave to cool.
- Whip cream.
- Leave base to cool for at least 2 hours, then carefully cut horizontally into 3 even layers (about 1 - 1.5 cm thick each). Place layers next to each other on the benchtop and drizzle the bottom and middle layers with kirsch.
- Spread half the cherry mixture on the bottom layer, add cream to make an even layer.
- Place second layer on top, press gently, and top with remaining cherry mixture and more cream.
- Place top layer on top and press gently.
- Fill a piping bag (star shaped nozzle) with cream and set aside.
- Spread remaining cream thickly over the top and sides of the gateau, covering it completely. This step will hide any unevenness.
- Carefully mark top into 16 even slices, decorate the wide end of each slice with a piped cream rosette and place a glacé cherry on top. Pipe a larger decoration into the middle of the gateau and sprinkle with chocolate shavings.
- Decorate sides of gateau with chocolate shavings.