"This Gateaux originates from France and has a lovely creamy coffee flavour. It is very easy to make and very moreish."
- 1 Sponge (homemade or bought) cut into 4 layers
- 1 Tbsp of instant coffee
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 2 Tbsp Brandy
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Walnuts (optional)
- 1 Cake of Dark Chocolate
- 1 pint of Cream
- Into a saucepan put coffee, sugar and water.
- Bring to the boil stirring until sugar has dissolved completely, simmer for 2 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly.
- Cool and add brandy.
- Put bottom layer of sponge on a plate and drizzle with the coffee mixture in a circular motion.
- Spread with whipped cream. Take next piece of Sponge and drizzle with coffee mixture and place on top of the first piece of Sponge with the drizzled mixture side down on the cream.
- Next drizzle more of the coffee mixture over the top and spread with more whipped cream. Drizzle last of the coffee mixture over the bottom of the top piece of sponge and place on top of cream.
- Thus giving you 4 layers of the Gateaux.
- Then cover the entire sponge with whipped cream on top and sides.
- Then grate chocolate over the top and sides of the cake ensuring you cover all the cream.
- Then if you want you can put the chopped walnuts around the side of the Gateaux as well.
- This is best made the night before you want to eat it so as the flavour of the Coffee and Bandy permeate through the sponge.