Easter hot cross bun French toast
Left with an abundance of Hot Cross Buns after Easter? Whip up this special brunch option for your friends and family, the perfect way to give extra life to these delicious buns!
- 6 hot cross buns
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup + 100ml cream
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp caster sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 50g butter
- 150g white chocolate, chopped
- Whipped cream or mascarpone to serve
- Slice the hot cross buns in half horizontally, and set aside.
- In a small pot, combine the frozen raspberries and 1Tbsp caster sugar to make a compote. Place over a medium heat, and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the sugar has dissolved and the raspberries have become syrupy. Set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, 1/3 cup cream, milk, 1Tbsp caster sugar and ground cinnamon.
- Preheat a non-stick frying pan to a medium heat with a portion of the butter. Take each hot cross bun piece and dip it in the egg mixture, coating all sides. Let the excess drip off the bun, then place into the frying pan. Cook on each side for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside on a plate and repeat until all pieces are cooked.
- To make the white chocolate sauce, place the white chocolate and cream in a heatproof bowl. Set over a bain marie and stir un til the chocolate has melted.
- To serve, place 3 hot cross bun pieces on a plate. Dollop over some raspberry compote, and drizzle the white chocolate sauce over the top. Serve with cream or mascarpone and enjoy immediately.