Avocado and ginger ice cream
"This is a winner when I make it for a friend, who says it's so irresistible it should be outlawed! It is creamy and rich with the tang of ginger. Nelson I believe has the highest consumption of ice cream in New Zealand. I don't know the origins of avocados but we certainly grow them here in Motueka."
- 1 ripe avocado
- small piece of root ginger
- 300 ml cream
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp warm water
- Whip the cream until it is thick but still able to be dropped from a spoon.
- Separate eggs.
- Whip yolks, water and 1/2 of the sugar together until thick.
- Beat whites stiff with remaining sugar.
- Combine all three.
- Peel and finely chop ginger.
- Blend avocado flesh and ginger in food processor.
- Fold gently through ice cream mixture.
- Put into individual serving dishes and freeze for approximately 2 hours.