Canadian maple syrup butter tarts
"Once the syrup starts to run in Eastern Canada we know the flavour of spring is on the way. My mother would make these each spring after buying pure maple syrup on the Byward Farmers market in Ottawa. The combination of sweet filling and flaky pastry is wonderful."
- 3/4 cup golden syrup
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 3 eggs (medium or large)
- tiny pinch of salt
- 12 unbaked tart shells (store bought unsweetened or home made pastry in large muffin tin, or 36 mini muffin)
- Pre heat oven 200C.
- In a large bowl combine the golden and maple syrups, sugar, butter, eggs and salt - combine well.
- If using pre made tart shells, place them on a foil lined cookie sheet, if making your own pastry, line the tins.
- Fill each shell to within 1/4 inch of top of crust.
- Once tarts in the oven reduce heat to 190C - Large tarts take 20 min to cook and mini tarts about 15 min.