- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 x 300ml bottle cream, whipped
- sliced strawberries, pomegranate seeds
- mint leaves
- icing sugar for sprinkling
- Heat the oven to 180C. Draw a 20cm circle on a sheet of baking paper and place on a baking tray with the marked circle tray-side-down.
- Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form.
- Beat in the sugar, one-third at a time, until the meringue is stiff and glossy.
- Sprinkle over the cornflour, vinegar and vanilla extract and carefully fold through.
- Pile on to the paper-lined tray and shape into the marked 20cm circle – no bigger. Flatten the top and smooth the sides with a palette knife.
- Place in the oven, reduce the heat to 150C and cook for 1-1 ¼ hours. Turn the oven off, leaving the pavlova inside to cool completely.
- To serve – remove pavlova from the paper; put on a serving plate. Spread whipped cream on top and decorate with the strawberries, pomegranate seeds and mint leaves. Using a sieve, sprinkle over a little icing sugar.