Pavlova with blueberries and cheat's praline
Nothing says ‘summer’ quite like a pavlova. The crispy meringue base, piled with dollops of rich cream and sweet seasonal fruit is an absolute winner! Paired with tangy blueberries and an easy praline, this recipe is sure to become your new favourite.
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup Pams Caster Sugar, plus 1 cup extra
- 1 tablespoon Pams Maize Cornflour
- 2 teaspoons Pams Malt Vinegar
- 300ml Pams Cream
- 2 teaspoons Pams Icing Sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 250g blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced). Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the egg whites into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Add the salt and whisk until stiff peaks form. Gradually add the caster sugar, whisking well after each addition.
- Add the cornflour and vinegar and whisk for 2 minutes. Use a metal spoon to dollop the mixture onto the baking paper. Shape into a 20cm circle.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 140°C (120˚C fan forced) and cook the meringue for 1 hour. Turn off the oven, leave the pavlova to cool in the oven.
- Remove the pavlova from the oven. Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced). Place the extra sugar on a large baking tray lined with baking paper and spread out into a thin, even layer. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until the sugar is melted and dark golden. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. When cool, break into shards.
- Whisk the cream, icing sugar and vanilla in a bowl until soft peaks form. Place the pavlova on a serving plate, top with the cream and decorate with the blueberries and shards of praline.
- For an extra indulgent dessert, top the pavlova with toffee nuts.
- Don’t have time to make your own meringue base? Use a store-bought base instead.