- 1 jam sponge roll, cut into 1cm-thick slices
- ¼ – ½ cup sherry or orange juice
- 375g raspberries
- 2 cups Pams Cream, whipped
- Pams Icing Sugar, to dust
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ cup Pams Caster Sugar
- 4 tablespoons Pams Maize Cornflour
- 1L Pams Milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- To make the custard, place the egg yolks and caster sugar in a large bowl and beat until pale and creamy. Whisk in the cornflour until combined.
- Place the milk in a saucepan and heat over medium heat until almost boiling. Gradually pour the hot milk into the egg mixture, stirring constantly. Stir in the vanilla extract. Return the custard mixture to the saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the custard thickens. Pour into a bowl, cover the surface with cling film and allow to cool.
- To prepare the trifle, arrange the jam sponge roll slices around the sides of a 20cm straightsided glass bowl, with the cut rolled sides facing outwards. Arrange the remaining sponge slices in the base of the bowl. Drizzle the sherry or orange juice over the sponge slices.
- Scatter two-thirds of the raspberries over the sponge slices, then pour the custard over the raspberries. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until the custard has set. Top the trifle with the whipped cream, then garnish with the remaining raspberries. Dust with icing sugar to serve.
- For a dessert that’s sure to wow the crowd, top this trifle with storebought profiteroles.
- Get this trifle on the table in no time by using storebought custard instead of making your own.