Stove-top rice pudding with baked rhubarb
Warm rice pudding is so comforting and wonderful just on its own but you can jazz it up with baked rhubarb.
- 2/3 cup medium-grain rice
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 stalks rhubarb, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar, extra
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Place the rice, milk, vanilla essence and a pinch of salt with 1 tablespoon of the sugar into a saucepan. Cover with a lid; simmer on a low heat for 25-30 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining sugar and the butter. Turn off the heat and cover with a lid. Rest for 7-10 minutes before serving.
- While the pudding is resting, wash the rhubarb but do not dry. Toss in the extra sugar, which will stick to the wet rhubarb.
- Arrange on a lined baking tray and bake for 7-10 minutes until soft to the touch.
Serve with the pudding and pouring cream if wished.