The homegrown kitchen’s salted caramel coconut flan
Help make a difference to the lives of millions of farmers and workers when you bake, by choosing Fairtrade. Visit www.fairtrade.org.nz to find out more.
- 1/2 cup Trade Aid Muscovado Sugar
- Large pinch of sea salt
- 1 tbsp water
- 400ml can Trade Aid Coconut Milk
- 1/4 cup Trade Aid Muscovado Sugar
- 1 tsp Taylor & Colledge Vanilla Extract
- 4 large free-range eggs
1. Preheat the oven 180C. Lightly grease 6 x 120ml ramekins.
2. To make the caramel: Combine the sugar, salt and water in a small saucepan and heat over a low heat until a thick golden caramel. This will only take several minutes.
3. Pour the caramel evenly into the ramekins and swirl to coat the sides - most of the caramel will settle on the bottom. Set aside to cool.
4. In a large bowl whisk together the coconut milk, sugar, vanilla and eggs until smooth. Once the caramel is cool pour the custard evenly into the ramekins.
5. Place the ramekins into a baking dish and fill with boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
6. Bake for 35 minutes. Check the custard is set with a toothpick, it should come out clean when pierced into the centre of the custard. Cool before serving.
7. Eat straight from the ramekins or invert onto small plates.
8. To invert: run a sharp knife around the edge, then holding the plate and ramekin tightly give a strong downward shake and the custard will slide out onto the plate and all the delicious caramel will run down the sides. Note: this may take a few good shakes.