"I first made this delicious dessert in the mid 1980's. My family and friends loved it. When my children were small they loved to watch the hot syrup bubble after it is poured on the baked pastry. I just baked it for a friend instead of a birthday cake. It is an easy treat for any occasions."
- 1 pound chopped peanuts and walnuts
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 16oz package phyllo dough
- 1.5 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup honey
- 1.5 large lemons
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees C.
- Spray pan (40cm x 26.5cm x 5cm) with cooking spray.
- Lay out thawed phyllo dough on your bench. (follow box instructions.)
- Place a damp tea towel on bench, and top with baking paper.
- Place phyllo dough on paper, and cover with another piece of baking paper and another damp tea towel.
- This will keep the dough workable.
- Mix nuts and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Brush butter on the baking pan.
- Lift tea towel and paper, and carefully separate one sheet of dough.
- Place dough sheet in pan.
- Recover dough after removing sheets. (this keep the dough workable.)
- Repeat this with 4 sheet of buttered dough.
- Place a marker in your stack of sheets to reserve 6 sheets for your top layers.
- Layer 1 buttered sheet, and 2-3 tablespoons nut mixture over sheet.
- Repeat until all but last 6 sheets are left, and all the nut mixture is used.
- Layer final sheets one at a time, and butter each.
- Pour remaining butter over pastry.
- With a sharp knife tuck excess at pan edges neatly as a gift box.(Trim some if necessary)
- With a sharp knife, carefully cut to the bottom of the pan into long rows, (individual piece size is your choice) then cut diagonally to make triangle shapes.
- Bake in preheated oven 50 minutes, or until crisp and golden .
- Now make your syrup:
- In a medium saucepan, mix water and sugar and bring it to a boil.
- Stir in honey, lemon juice, lemons, and cinnamon sticks.
- Reduce heat and simmer 20 plus minutes . (keep warm while pastry is baking)
- Remove baklava from oven and pour syrup over the entire pastry immediately.
- Cool before serving.
- May be stored in the fridge IF there are leftovers.