Vanilla rice pudding with berries
This easy stovetop rice pudding recipe brings this classic dish back to life. Rich and creamy vanilla rice pudding shines paired with tart berries for the ultimate warming dessert.
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp soft brown sugar
- 3-4 cups milk of your choice, heated
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Nuts or coconut shavings, to garnish
- In a medium sized saucepan, melt the butter over a medium heat. Once melted, add the rice and cook while stirring for 3-5 minutes to toast the rice.
- Reduce to a low medium heat. Add the vanilla and 2 Tbsp brown sugar to the rice and stir to combine. Gradually add the milk a ladle at a time, stirring until completely absorbed before adding another ladle full. Repeat until the rice is tender and the pudding is creamy, using as much liquid as needed.
- Once the rice pudding has cooked, briefly set aside to cool. Place the frozen berries, remaining brown sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan and set over a medium heat. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until a saucy consistency is achieved. Leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve the berries over the top of the warm rice pudding and garnish before serving. Keep stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days.