Bacon and banana hot cross bun French toast
Put an Easter weekend spin on this brunch classic! Our hot cross bun French toast served with banana, bacon and maple syrup is a recipe not to be missed and is the perfect recipe to feed four, or more if you’re cooking for a crowd.
- 6 hot cross buns
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup cream
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup, plus extra to serve
- 400g streaky bacon
- 2 large bananas, sliced
- Slice your hot cross buns in half horizontally, then set aside. Preheat your oven to 100°C.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream and maple syrup until well combined.
- Bring a frying pan to medium heat with a knob of butter. A few slices at a time, dip pieces of hot cross bun into the egg mixture, then fry for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Set aside on a plate, then repeat with the remaining slices.
- Keep the French toast warm in the oven while you cook the bacon in the same pan to your liking.
- Once almost cooked, add a drizzle of maple syrup to the pan and allow to caramelise onto the bacon. Serve the French toast while hot with bacon, sliced banana and an additional drizzle of maple syrup.
Add 1tsp ground cinnamon to your egg mixture for a spicy twist!