Gluten free brownies with toasted meringue
Everyone loves a brownie, and this brownie recipe is off the charts! With dark chocolate chunks and caramelised meringue, it's a decadent treat, great when served with your morning cuppa.
- Gluten free
- 85g butter
- 250g Nestlé Dark Chunks
- ¾ cup (165g) caster sugar, plus ½ cup (110g) extra
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp Nestlé Baking Cocoa
- 30g cornflour
- 1 cup (140g) macadamias, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup frozen raspberries, defrosted
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- Dehydrated raspberries, for decorating
- Preheat oven to 180°C (or 160°C fan forced). Grease and line a 20cm square pan with baking paper.
- Melt butter and Nestlé Dark Chunks in a medium saucepan over very low heat, stirring constantly until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in sugar, then eggs, one at a time.
- Sift together Nestlé Baking Cocoa and cornflour into a small bowl, then stir into chocolate mixture.
- Pour into the bowl of an electric mixer, beat using a paddle for 2 minutes or until smooth and glossy.
- Stir in macadamias and raspberries, pour into pan and bake for 30 minutes or until just set. Cool in pan.
- Meanwhile whilst cooling, combine extra sugar and 100ml water in a small pan and bring to the boil, until sugar dissolves.
- Reduce heat to medium and brush down sides of pan with a clean, wet pastry brush to remove sugar crystals.
- Cook until syrup reaches 115°C (soft ball stage) on a thermometer (10-15 minutes). Start whisking eggwhites with cream of tartar in the clean, grease-free bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Meanwhile, bring sugar syrup to 121°C (hard ball stage). Increase speed to high and with motor running, gradually pour syrup into egg whites.
- Beat at medium speed until cooled to room temperature and meringue is thick and glossy (15-20 minutes).
- Transfer mixture to a piping bag fitted with a small round nozzle. Remove brownie onto a platter, pipe over the top of brownie (using picture as a guide).
- Using a blow torch, caramelise meringue, decorate with dehydrated raspberries. Serve.