- 12 large paper cupcake cases - approximately 5cm diameter by 6cm tall
- 200g butter, softened
- 1 cup soft brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 Tbsp cocoa
- 12 small caramel filled Easter eggs
- Chocolate Butter Cream:
- 75g butter, softened
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 Tbsp cocoa
- 2 - 3 flake bars
- 36 small candy Easter eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (fan bake). Place paper patty cases into a muffin tray. This will help support the cakes while cooking.
- In a mixing bowl beat the butter, brown sugar and vanilla extract until creamy. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa into the creamed mixture and gently fold to combine, being careful not to over mix.
- ¾ fill each patty case with the mixture. Press an Easter egg gently into the mixture to cover.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until cakes are cooked. Remove from the oven and stand for 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove the cupcakes from the muffin tray and place on a baking rack to cool completely.
- To make chocolate butter cream put softened butter into a small mixing bowl. Sift icing sugar and cocoa into the bowl. Beat until smooth adding ½ Tbsp of hot water if necessary to make a smooth and spreadable consistency.
- When cakes are cold ice tops with chocolate butter cream. While butter cream is still soft create a nest with flake bar and place 3 small candy Easter eggs into the centre of the nest.