Meadow Fresh Cream Cheese Bunnies
Use ready rolled butter puff pastry for this Easter themed, quick and healthy snack for kids. Once baked, let the kids help decorate the bunnies.
- Bunny cutter – 12cm in height x 6cm in width (if you don’t have a cutter, download or draw a pattern and cut around it)
- 1 sheet Edmonds ready rolled butter puff pastry, slightly defrosted
- 1 tub Meadow Fresh Traditional Cream Cheese (remove from fridge before using to help soften)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with a pinch of salt for the egg wash
- To finish:
- For the eyes we used black mustard seeds, but you could use little pieces of liquorice or currants, dark chocolate for chocolate shavings or grated chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the firm pastry sheet on a lightly-floured bench top. Using a cutter or template, cut out 8 bunny shapes and place on the baking tray. Very lightly prick pastry bunnies with a fork.
- Place a good teaspoonful of Meadow Fresh Traditional Cream Cheese on the tummy of each bunny and smooth a little, but leaving slightly mounded. (The cream cheese should only spread a little during baking).
- Brush the pastry with the egg wash.
- Place in the refrigerator to allow the pastry to firm up and keep its shape, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the refrigerator and place in the hot oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes until well browned and there are no wet looking patches on the pastry. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool a little.
- You can use extra Meadow Fresh Cream Cheese to place on mustard seeds for eyes.
To serve: The pastry bunnies are great served warm topped with a few chocolate shavings or grate some chocolate over the cream cheese.