Orange choc chip hot cross buns
Try this twist on the traditional spicy Easter bun, with orange and dark chocolate.
- 2 tsp dry yeast or 1 x 7g sachet
- 1½ cups (375mL) warm milk
- 1 tbsp caster sugar, plus ¼ cup (55g) extra
- 4½ cups (675g) plain flour
- 80g cold butter, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Zest 1 orange
- 1 cup (190g) NESTLÉ DARK CHOC BITS
- Hot cross bun paste:
- ¼ cup (35g) plain flour
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 2-3 tbsp chilled water, approximately
- Preheat oven to 180°C (or 160°C fan forced). Grease a 23cm square cake pan.
- Combine yeast, milk and sugar in a small bowl; set aside in a warm place for 10-15 minutes or until frothy.
- Sift flour and extra sugar into a large bowl. Rub in butter; make a well in the centre; add milk mixture, egg and zest; stir until just combined.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface, knead for 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic; transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, cover and set in a warm area for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch down dough, turn onto a lightly floured surface, knead in NESTLÉ Dark CHOC BITS (tip: this may take a few minutes, but be patient, as the taste is worth the effort!), divide and roll mixture into 16 even sized balls, arrange in prepared pan, cover, set aside in a warm place for 15 minutes or until slightly risen.
- Hot cross bun paste: In a small bowl combine flour, sugar and chilled water, spoon into a small piping bag with a small round nozzle, pipe crosses onto buns.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Serve warm out of the oven with butter, if desired.