- 2 1/3 cups (360g) icing sugar mixture
- 1 cup (110g) almond meal
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 100g softened butter
- ½ cup (110g) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 egg
- 2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
- ½ cup (95g) Nestlé Dark CHOC BITS
- ½ cup (95g) Nestlé Milk CHOC BITS
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 450g dried mixed fruit
- 2 tbsp apricot jam
- Preheat oven to 180°C (or 160°C fan forced). Grease and line a 17cm round (base measurement) cake pan with baking paper.
- Place icing sugar, almond meal, brandy, 1 egg yolk and lemon juice in a bowl and stir until mixture just comes together.
- Turn on to a clean surface and knead until smooth. Wrap in plastic wrap. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and golden syrup in a bowl until pale and creamy.
- Add egg and remaining egg yolk, and beat until just combined. Add flour, Nestlé Dark CHOC BITS, Nestlé Milk CHOC BITS and mixed spice; stir to combine. Stir in mixed fruit.
- Spoon half the fruit mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Use a rolling pin to roll out one-third of almond mixture into a 17cm disc. Place disc on top of fruit mixture in pan.
- Spoon remaining fruit mixture over almond disc and smooth surface.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 150°C (or 130°C fan forced); bake for a further 1 ½ hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside in pan to cool completely.
- Turn cake on to a clean surface. Heat jam in a small saucepan over low heat until melted. Strain through a fine sieve. Brush top of cake with warm jam.
- Divide remaining almond mixture into 2 equal portions. Using a rolling pin to roll out 1 portion into a 17cm disc. Place on top of cake and use the palm of your hand to smooth.
- Roll remaining almond mixture into 11 balls. Arrange on top of cake.
- Preheat grill on high. Place cake under grill for 1-2 minutes or until caramelised. Place on a plate and decorate with ribbon.