Crumbed fish and slaw burgers
Crispy, panko crumbed fish is a delicious way to enjoy NZ’s fresh kai moana, and these crumbed fish and cabbage slaw burgers are the ultimate Friday night treat. Perfectly finished with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice!
View the method
- 350g fresh white fish
- ⅓ cup Pams plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 ½ cups Pams panko bread crumbs
- Rice bran or vegetable oil, for pan frying
- 1 cup shredded white cabbage
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill or parsley
- 4 burger buns, toasted
Back to ingredients
- Cut the fish into bite sized pieces. Crumb the fish pieces by coating in flour seasoned with salt and pepper, followed by beaten egg then breadcrumbs. Lay the crumbed pieces on a plate and repeat with the remaining fish.
- Bring a frying pan to a medium to high with a generous drizzle of oil. Pan fry the fish pieces for 3-4 minutes each side, or until golden brown in colour and cooked through.
- To make the slaw, combine the shredded cabbages and red onion in a bowl. Stir together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, chopped herbs. Season to taste, then add half of the mayonnaise mixture to the slaw and toss to coat.
- To assemble the burgers, evenly divide the slaw and place on top of the bun bottoms. Top with the crumbed fish pieces, then drizzle the remaining sauce over top. Season with salt, then place the bun lid on top and serve immediately.