- 500g white fleshed fish, cut into strips
- Oil for frying
- Tortillas, preferably corn (Tio Pablo)
- 2 cups finely shredded purple cabbage
- 1 avocado
- Pickled jalapenos, for garnish, optional
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup ice cold beer (Mexican dark beer works best!)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup unsweetened yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, minced chopped
- chopped cilantro
- lime juice juice to taste
Mix all the ingredients thoroughly till smooth. Keep in fridge until needed.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt until well blended.
- Mix the egg with the beer, pour into the flour and whisk until there are no lumps.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, add enough oil to reach a depth 3 to 4 cms. Heat the oil until the end of a wooden spoon sizzles when inserted into the oil. If you use a thermometer, it should read 350F/175C.
- On a large plate, combine the flour and salt. Coat the fish pieces with the flour. Working in batches, dip the fillets in the beer batter and coat on both sides. Fry in the hot oil until golden brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
When finished, assemble the tacos putting some fish on each tortilla and top with cream, shredded cabbage, avocado and pickled jalapenos, if desired.