- 1 cucumber, peeled, cut in half, seeds removed and shaved into thin ribbons
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 cup cider or white vinegar
- 1 chilli, sliced and deseeded (optional)
- 4 fillets skin on snapper
- Knob of butter
- Place the cucumber ribbons in a bowl.
- In a measuring jug, mix the salt and sugar into the vinegar until dissolved. Add the chilli if using.
- Pour over the cucumbers and allow to sit for 20 mins.
- Season the fish with salt and pepper.
- Heat a little oil in a large sauté pan then add a knob of butter.
- Place the fish skin-side down, then place another sauté pan or saucepan on top to help keep the fish flat. Cook for 3–4 minutes until the skin is golden and crisp. Turn over and cook for another 1–2 minutes. Cooking time will depend on the thickness of the fish fillets.
- Serve the fish with a pile of well drained cucumbers on the side.