Quick Tuna Casserole
Served with cooked vegetables or a crisp green salad, this easy dish makes a hearty satisfying winter meal or a tasty summer tea. You can also add your own touches like sweetcorn, mushrooms or red pepper to suit your taste.
View the method
- 1-2 Cups dry pasta such as macaroni elbows
- 1 Medium sized onion finely diced
- 3 Tablespoon butter
- 3 Tablespoon flour
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 Cups milk
- 1 Cup grated cheddar (loosely packed)
- 185g Can Tuna – use flavoured if you wish
- Breadcrumbs (optional)
Back to ingredients
- Put pasta on to cook until al-dente (approx 12 minutes).
- While pasta is cooking sauté onion in butter.
- Add flour and black pepper to onions then add milk and stir until a smooth sauce is obtained.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in grated cheese.
- Drain pasta and add cheese sauce to pasta.
- Break up tuna into chunky pieces and carefully fold into pasta & cheese sauce.
- Transfer into a baking dish with lid.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 180ºC.
- Remove lid and if desired sprinkle top with more grated cheese & breadcrumbs, return to oven for 10 minutes until the topping is crisp.