Roasted salmon with herb, shallot and butter sauce
Tender, flaky salmon with a herby, buttery sauce cries out for the understated elegance of a chilled rosé
View the method
- 1 whole salmon fillet, skin on (about 1.2-kilograms)
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons very finely chopped fresh rosemary
- finely grated zest 1 lemon
- sea salt and ground pepper
For the herb, shallot and butter sauce
- 2 tablespoons very finely chopped shallot or white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 150 grams butter
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or fennel fronds
Back to ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 210°C fan bake.
- Place the salmon on a large, baking paper-lined roasting tray.
- Stir the butter, garlic, mustard, rosemary and lemon zest together then spread over the salmon. Season generously with salt and pepper. Place in the top half of the oven and roast for 10-12 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes then transfer to a serving board. Serve with the butter sauce and a glass of Selaks The Taste Collection Berries & Cream Rosé.
Herb, Shallot and Butter Sauce
- Put shallot, garlic and 50 grams of the butter in a small saucepan. Cover and cook over a very low heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining butterand melt.
- Whizz the egg yolks, lemon juice and salt in a blender for 20 seconds. With the blender running, slowly pour in the hot shallot butter to make a thick sauce. Tip into a warm jug or bowl and stir in the herbs.