For the vinegared rice:
- 500g short or medium grained rice (uncooked)
- 2 cups of water
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 50g white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
For the sushi rolls:
- 5 pieces Yaki Nori green seaweed
- 2 avocados
- 250g fresh salmon (boneless & skinless)
- 30ml soy sauce
You will need a sushi roller (bamboo mat) to prepare the sushi rolls.
To prepare the vinegared rice:
Using a rice cooker: rinse rice, add water, cooking time approximately 30-40 mins, allow sitting for another 15 mins in the pot.
Using a saucepan: rinse rice, add water, cook on medium heat, bring to boil, stir occasionally, reduce heat and simmer covered for about 15 mins, remove from heat and sit for another 15 mins in the saucepan.
In a small saucepan, heat the rice vinegar, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
Place cooked rice in a bowl, add the sushi vinegar evenly, and mix the rice well. Let rice cool down for about 5 to 10 mins.
*500g of uncooked rice makes about 1200g cooked rice. 240g of cooked rice makes one roll of sushi.
To prepare the sushi rolls:
- Cut fresh salmon and avocado into strips.
- Place 1 piece of seaweed on the bamboo mat (shiny side down).
- Spread 240g of vinegared rice evenly on the seaweed.
- Leave about 2cm at the top and 0.5cm at the bottom.
- Place the fresh ingredients in the centre of the rice (avocado 40g & fresh salmon 50g).
- Lift the edges of both the bamboo mat and seaweed nearest you, and bring over to meet the far edge of the rice and roll over to meet the far edge of seaweed.
- Gently but firmly press the bamboo mat around the roll to shape it.
- Remove mat and let the sushi roll sit for 5 to 10 mins before cutting, this allows the moisture to be absorbed, sealing up the sushi, and makes for easy cutting.
- Cut into 8 to 10 pieces. Repeat with the other 4 pieces of seaweed.
Wine suggestion: Pinot Gris