Baked lolo mussels
Beautiful mussels (or if in Fiji, fresh water "Kai") slathered with coconut cream with a hint of lemon, baked in a half shell until lightly browned.
- 24 mussels
- 1 Can Coconut Cream
- 1 small onion
- 1 medium-sized tomato
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Steam mussels until just opened. Remove from shell and chop finely. Reserve the best shells.
- Empty coconut cream into a jug or bowl, season with salt and pepper and add lemon to taste.
- Reserve about 100ml of coconut cream mixture in a separate bowl.
- Combine mussels, coconut cream mixture, onion, tomato and chilli together.
- Spoon the mixture into the the shells without over filling them.
- Lay the filled shells in a single layer of a baking tray. Using a spoon, ladle the remaining coconut cream mixture into each shell.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 10 minutes then grill for 5 minutes being careful not to dry the mussels out.
- Serve with boiled taro or a green salad.
New World Recommended Wine Pairing: Mud House Sauvignon Blanc