Fresh steamed mussels
A quick and tasty way to enjoy fresh New Zealand green shell mussels.
- 1 kilo of fresh mussels
- 1 bulb of garlic, a bunch of parsley and 2 chillies
- 25g of Pams butter
- 1/2 bottle of white wine
- Salba bread
- Carefully de-seed and finely chop 2 chillies, then peel and chop 6 large cloves of garlic.
- Finely chop a generous amount of parsley and set aside.
- Place 25 grams of butter into a large saucepan over a moderate heat.
- Add garlic and chillies to the butter in the pan and soften gently.
- Turn the pan to high heat. Add the mussels, parsley and white wine along with salt and pepper to taste.
- Give the pan a shake or stir to mix the mussels with the flavours and then cover with a lid and steam for 6 minutes or until all mussels open (discard any mussels that do not open).
- Serve with plenty of Salba bread to mop up the juices.
Mussels are high in Omega 3. To clean mussels, rinse under cold running water in the sink. Remove any remaining "beards" by pulling toward the hinge.