Wild mussels grilled in the half shell
"Grilled Mussels presented in the half shell as an entree. Usually gone within minutes of coming out from under the grill."
- 25 Fresh mussels in the shell (mid size are best I find if gathering yourself)
- 25g melted butter
- 2 cloves finely chopped garlic (optional)
- 1/2 cup tasty grated cheese
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Sweet chilli sauce
- Dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- Scrub mussel shells then steam open in a large pot.
- Run cold water over mussels and open shells keeping the best half of the shell.
- Place the half shell on the oven tray with 1 debearded mussel on each shell.
- Drizzle melted butter (with optional garlic mixed in) over each mussel.
- Drizzle about a half tsp of Sweet Chilli Sauce onto 12 of the mussels and sprinkle the chopped Corriander over the sauce.
- Drizzle about a half tsp of wine over the rest of the mussels.
- Mix the breadcrumbs and cheese and sprinkle over the 25 mussels.
- Grill for about 5 minutes until the cheese melts and the crumb are golden brown.
- Plate up, and watch them vanish.
- Note: should be served straight away.