- 4-5 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 bulb (not clove) garlic, cloves crushed
- 2 heaped Tbsp curry powder (I used Empire mild)
- 800 grams raw prawns, defrosted
- Salt to taste
- 1 x 400-gram can coconut cream or milk
- 1 cup chopped fresh coriander leaves and stalks
- Juice of 1 lemon or lime
- In a large pot over a medium heat, add the oil, onion and garlic. Sauté until onion and garlic are soft.
- Add the curry powder, stir and cook for 1 minute to release the flavours. (This should look like a paste; if it’s too dry, add a splash more oil).
- Add the prawns and the salt; stir through the curry paste for 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut cream and simmer to heat through. Stir through the coriander and the lemon juice. Serve immediately.
Tip: If using frozen prawns, ensure they are defrosted and dry them on kitchen paper towels. The prawns can be shelled or unshelled. The shells lend the curry extra flavour.