BBQ pork ribs and slaw
Ribs are the perfect food for evenings spent outdoors. Slow-cooked in the oven then finished with a homemade sticky sweet BBQ glaze, you’ll be licking your fingers long after the ribs are demolished.
- Summer BBQ
- 2 racks pork ribs (roughly 2.2kgs)
- 2 large oranges
- 100 grams soft brown sugar
- 100 grams tomato sauce
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons hickory sauce
- 1 tablespoon American mustard
- juice of 2 large oranges
- 75ml bourbon (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chilli sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- pinch each of freshly ground pepper and flaky sea salt
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 1 large apple, thinly sliced and julienned (or grated)
- ½ green cabbage, very thinly sliced (use a mandolin if you have one)
- ½ red cabbage, very thinly sliced (use a mandolin if you have one)
- 2 spring onions (green parts only), thinly sliced
- small handful of coriander to garnish (optional)
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Greek yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to season
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C.
2. Place the ribs in a roasting dish, season and squeeze over the juice from the two oranges. Wrap the dish tightly with aluminium foil and place in the oven for 1½ hours, or until the meat is tender.
3. BBQ Sauce: Place all the ingredients in a saucepan over a high heat. Stir to combine and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Set aside. (This sauce can be made the day before and stored in an airtight container in the fridge.)
4. Remove the ribs from the oven and allow to cool slightly, then slice into sections of 2-3 ribs and put them back in the roasting dish.
5. Turn the oven up to 200°C. Brush the ribs with the BBQ sauce and return them to the oven for about 30 minutes, turning them regularly and basting with the BBQ sauce until they are charred and sticky. Remove from the oven, give them one final coating of BBQ sauce and allow them to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
6. Coleslaw: Place all the dressing ingredients in the bottom of a large bowl, mix well and season to taste. Add the carrot, apple, cabbage and spring onions to the bowl and toss until well coated with dressing. Garnish with the coriander (if using) for extra bite and serve alongside the ribs.