Think of this not as a recipe, but as the starting point for you to build your ultimate burger. Start with a simple, (well salted) patty that is cooked nice and crispy. Then add some melted cheese, mayo, tomato, pickles and lettuce. Anything else from there is just a bonus.
- 500g beef mince (at room temperature)
- 4 slices Cheddar cheese
- 4 burger buns, halved and toasted
- Mayonnaise 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 2-3 large leaves of iceberg lettuce
- ‘Bread & butter’ style pickles
1. Season the mince with salt and mix through. Divide into four portions, roll each one into an evenly shaped ball and set aside.
2. Preheat a cast iron pan or BBQ hot plate until screaming hot.
3. Using a flat spatula (not the ones with holes or gaps in them), place each ball of mince onto the hot plate and push it down firmly until evenly flat. Cook for 1 minute, flip and cook for another minute, topping with a slice of Cheddar for the last 20 seconds. Remove and allow to rest.