- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- knob of butter
- 2 green chillis, finely chopped
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced (or finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 8-10 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup yellow lentils
- 4 cups water
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
1. Curry: Heat the oil and butter in a heavy-bottom pot on a medium heat.
2. Add the chilli and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the onion and cook for five minutes or until softened. Reduce the heat to low and add the garlic, ginger and curry leaves (if using), and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the tomato and cumin, stir and cook until it thickens slightly. Add the lentils, water and turmeric and stir until combined.
3. Bring to a gentle simmer, cover and cook for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
4. After an hour, remove the lid and cook uncovered for a further 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the curry reaches the consistency of porridge.
5. While the curry finishes cooking, cook the rice.
6. Just before serving, stir the garam masala into the curry and season to taste.